Marino Institute of Education Campus
The campus at Marino Institute of Education (MIE) combines two beautifully-designed buildings in the classic style - St. Mary’s, 1904, and St. Patrick’s, 1930, - with the modern centenary buildings which include student residences (Westcourt), the Christian Brother community house (St. Joseph’s) and Nagle-Rice Hall. St. Mary’s is an impressive three-storey building in the form of a square, the centre of which is hollow and houses an impressive garden. The material used is finely-dressed granite, with limestone coins, pilasters, and cornices. In 1934 St. Joseph’s Missionary College was erected to the rear of St. Mary’s as a residence for student Brothers who were intended for the Brothers’ overseas missions. This building was demolished in 2003 to facilitate the development of the student residences, which consist of apartments for 302 students. A replacement for the community residence, the new St. Joseph’s, has been constructed for the Christian Brother community on the campus. Nagle-Rice Hall, the newest addition to the MIE campus, consists of four seminar rooms with computer interactive whiteboard facility, a lecture theatre with tiered seating, an outstanding sports hall and a spacious dining area.
At the same time as Nagle-Rice Hall was being built, the opportunity was taken to undertake some refurbishment work to St. Mary’s. This work provided a new conferencing and reception area for the Institute and a dedicated administration area. In addition, the former ‘kitchen courtyard’ was converted into a walk-through atrium.
The wonderful environment has long been a key feature of life at Marino for students, staff and visitors alike. Under the dedicated custodianship of Br. Bourke and his staff, improvements to the grounds are an ongoing process.
The courtyard garden of St Mary’s continues to impress with its dazzling variety of flowering plants (many of them rare) and shrubs and it provides a haven for small birds to nest.
The next stage of the campus development plan will give attention to external areas such as pathways, lighting, security and signage. This work will formally conclude the current development phase although opportunities to further improve the existing facilities are under continual exploration.