Bachelor in Education
Baitsiléir san Oideachas (CM002)
Bachelor in Education Degree (CM001)
Overview and Structure, year by year
The Bachelor in Education (B. Ed.) is a four-year professional degree that provides the academic and professional requirements for primary teachers. The course is accredited by University of Dublin, Trinity College. The Bachelor in Education is designed with a strong practical orientation, to enhance preparation for the primary classroom.
Completion of the four years of the course will lead to a Bachelor in Education degree. (NFQ Level 8)
Forbhreathú agus Struchtúr
Is céim ghairmiúil ceithre bliana é an Baitsiléir san Oideachas (B.Oid) a chuireann na riachtanais acadúla agus gairmiúla ar fáil do bhunmhúinteoirí. Múintear an cúrsa i gcomhar le Scoil an Oideachais i gColáiste na Tríonóide. Ceaptar an Baitsiléir san Oideachas agus treoshuíomh an-phraiticiúil ann, ar mhaithe le hullmhúchán na n-ábhar oide don seomra ranga bunscoile a fheabhsú. Ar chríochnú na gceithre bliana den chúrsa, bronnfar céim Bhaitsiléara san Oideachas ar an mac léinn (An Creat Náisiúnta Cáilíochtaí (NFQ) Leibhéal 8)
What does the degree include?
This degree is an integrated course of study designed to equip student teachers with the range of knowledge and skills related to the profession of primary school teaching.
The subjects studied include the following:
- English Literature
- English Methods
- Social, Environmental & Scientific Education
- Religious Education
- Physical Education
- Professional Development
- Computer Education
- Inclusive Education
- School Contact - Observation prior to Teaching Practice and Teaching Practice
- Arts Education - Visual Arts, Music, Drama
- TCD - Child Development, Sociology, Language Study, Educational Psychology, Curriculum &Assessment, Philosophy, History of Education
- Professional Development Theory,
- Special Education
- Social, Personal and Health Education
- Early Childhood Education
Over the course of your four years of study for the B. Ed. Degree, the student will engage in a number of school experiences and teaching practice programmes. These will be in a variety of settings including urban schools, rural schools, multi-grade situations, DEIS schools, Gaelscoileanna and Scoileanna Gaeltachta and will be both home and Dublin based.
Minimum entry requirements
The minimum entry requirements as set by of the Department of Education and Skills satisfy the matriculation standards of University of Dublin,Trinity College and are as follows:
Grade C3 at least on a Higher Level paper in not less than three subjects and grade D3 (Ordinary Level) in three other subjects.
In addition, in specified subjects, the following requirements apply:
Foundation Level Mathematics does not satisfy the entry requirement in Mathematics.
- Grade C3 at least on Higher Level paper in Gaeilge
- Grade C3 at least on an Ordinary Level or D3 at least on a Higher Level paper in English;
- Grade D3 at least (Ordinary Level or Higher Level) in Mathematics.
For Candidates from Northern Ireland the minimum requirements are six subjects from the NICCEA syllabi including three subjects from the GCSE A Level syllabus.
The minimum grades required are:
- Irish: Grade C at GCE A Level
- English: Grade C at GCSE Level in both English and English Literature or Grade B at GCSE Level in either;
- Mathematics: Grade D at GCSE Level in Additional Mathematics or Grade A at GCSE Level in Mathematics;
- Grade C at GCSE A Level in two further subjects;
- Grade C in one other subject at GCSE A Level.
Minimum age limit for entry to B.Ed.Leaving Certificate CAO applicants must be at least 16 years of age on 15th January of the year of entry.
From 2014 mature applicants wishing to apply on mature grounds must apply through the Central Applications Office (CAO) by 5.15pm on 1st February.
In mid-March the CAO will check the elligbilty criteria and email all mature applicants as to whether an applicant meets the minimum entry requirements. Those applicants meeting the eligibilty criteria and wishing to be assessed on mature grounds will be advised to complete and return a Mature Student Supplementary Application Form directly to St Patrick's College, as the administrative centre. For further information, please access the links below.
2014/2015 Entry requirements
2014/2015 Criteria for general interview
2014/2015 Guidelines for mature applicants
2014/2015 B.Ed. Supplementary mature application form